Robin is cutting the cement board to start with a level surface on top of the cement blocks. Dust is a flying!
2 layers of hard brick for the floor of the kiln. Still undecided about adding another layer.
I think the cat thinks we are building her a house. Now you can see the walls of the kiln. It's getting dark and you can see the pink sunset through the trees.
We've added a few more rows. We had a little pause in the stacking because we had to cast our firing ports. The white bricks are used insulating brick. They are from our old kiln. They are discolored from soot from other firings.
The holes on the bottom (they have the indented bricks)are: the right one is a salting port, and the left one is a peep hole. The two holes on top are peep holes. They are use to see what cones are down, and to look at the color of the pottery. The white bricks are the insulating bricks from our other kiln. They have soot and moss on them. We will try and burn that off to make it look nicer.
We got the arch started. It's looking pretty good. It's tight,and pretty solid. There will be a welded frame around the whole kiln to keep it tight and square.
Here it is at an angle that you can see the doorway. (I should have move some of the junk so it looked better). I might just change this picture.
Another angle of Robin welding.
It was pretty warm today, 87 degrees. We waited until evening to weld.
We took out all of the forms and it's still standing!!! We will see how it looks in the morning.
This is a shot of the cement block base. We made it a little higher than normal so we don't have to bend over too far to load the kiln. Getting old ya know!
It's kind of hard to tell what is happening here. This is from the same angle as the picture above. We've added a few rows of bricks.
It's not solid, there are single brick walls.
It's 9:30 pm getting dark. In a couple of weeks we should be able to work a little longer. Some of the bricks are just set up there to be used next time.We have some casting to do on the end so we got some figuring to do.And there is the cat again!!
Here are the firing ports. There is still cardboard tubes in the form. They will burn out on the first firing. The holes are angled to direct the flames up to the arch.
It started raining so we put up our patio umbrella. We will eventually put a tin covered shed over the kiln but have to wait until its built so we know where to cut the hole for the chimney. Robin is standing there thinking!
It's about 10 inches high. The center bricks will get tapped in when the welded frame is around the kiln. The wood that is holding it up now will be taken out and the combination of the arched bricks and the weight will hold it up. We will then fill in the space with bricks.
Robin is welding the frame to help hold the arch tight. Hopefully it will stay up when we remove the wood form.
Well, we took out the front of the form. Just a slight movement of the bricks.
Now we have to fill in the front and back of the arch. After that we will tap in the center brick.